- April 15 - 21, 2019
- 7:00 pm
- Christ Church Cathedral
- Save to your Calendar
Music During Holy Week, April 14-21
Daily choral services, with music provided by the cathedral's four choirs, will include:
Monday and Tuesday
• Two different settings of King David's lament for his son, Absalom, by English Renaissance composers Thomas Tomkins and Thomas Weelkes.
• The service of Tenebrae (Latin for "shadows"), in which seven candles are gradually extinguished, features music by Thomas Tallis, Osbert Parsley, and Canadian composer, Healy Willan.
• The Good Friday reading of the Passion narrative will be sung to a setting by 16th-century composer Tomás Luis de Victoria.
• Outside the cathedral before the 9.15 am service, percussionist Jordan Hanson will be playing hand drums as worshipers gather.
• At the 11.00 am service, the cathedral choir is joined by the Victoria Brass for a feast of Venetian polychoral music sung and played from the cathedral's various balconies.